Mr. Ronald A. Rader has been President of his own publishing/consulting company, the Biotechnology Information Institute, since late 1990. Mr. Rader has a B.S. (Microbiology), M.L.S. (Library/Info. Sci.), and over 30 years experience as a biotechnology and pharmaceutical information specialist, author, publisher and consultant. He is a world-class expert in biotechnology and pharmaceutical information, competitive intelligence, technology and market assessments, and information resources development; and concerning biopharmaceutical products and industry [See his full Resume].
Mr. Rader is best known as the author and publisher of BIOPHARMA: Biopharmaceutical Products in the U.S. and European Markets, the only information resource/reference concerning biopharmaceuticals (now an online Web database; last printed book version was the 6th edition, 2 vol., 1602 pages, Sept. 2007).
He has also authored major works including
Charting the Biosimilar and Biobetter Development Pipeline, then the most extensive biosimilars (and biobetters) pipeline report (428 pages, Sept. 2012; see www.biosimilarspipeline.com);
Biopharmaceutical Expression Systems and Genetic Engineering Technologies: Current and Future Manufacturing Platforms (365 pages, Oct. 2008), the only directory of genetic engneering technologies available for licensing. For 15 years, from 1988-early 2003 (>5,500 pages), he was the author and publisher of the Antiviral Agents Bulletin, the only periodical specializing in antiviral/HIV drug and vaccine development. In 1994, he authored and published the Federal Bio-Technology Transfer Directory, a 678-page book abstracting and indexing all federal, e.g., NIH, inventions and technology transfers in biotech/biomedical areas, further marketed as an online database until 2000. For other companies, Mr. Rader developed information resources including the Top 1000 Global Biopharmaceutical Facilities Index and a database of SFDA-approved (Chinese) biopharmaceuticals.
From 1985-1990, Mr. Rader was Manager of Information Services, Porton International plc, providing information and competitive intelligence services and market/technology analyses for what was then the world's largest privately-held biotechnology company. Prior to that he served as a biomedical/chemical information specialist/manager/analyst with companies including Gillette Medical Evaluation Labs., Gillette Co.; MITRE Corp.; Biospherics; Computer Sciences Corp. (CSC); Technical Resources Inc.; and Bio-Conversion Labs.
Recent published articles include:
- "Innovation in Stainless Steel Bioprocessing,"
Life Sciences Leader, Nov. 2013, p. 20-22.
- "Biopharma Nomenclature:
Citizen Petition Requests Biopharmaceutical Names and Information Be Disclosed by FDA," Contract Pharma,
Sept. 2013, back page [guest editorial].
- "An Analysis of the U.S. Biosimilars Development Pipeline and Likely Market Evolution,"
BioProcess International, vol. 11, no. 6, Biosimilars supplement, June 2013, pp. 16-23.
- "Introduction to Continuous Manufacturing: Technology Landscape and Trends," in Continuous Bioprocessing: Current Practice and Future Potential, Refine Technology, June 2013, p. 3-8.
- "The Biosimilars Pipeline and U.S. Market Evolution: A 2013 Assessment," in Biopharmaceutical R&D Statistical Sourcebook 2013/2014, Parexel, June 2013, p. 113-116.
- "FDA Biopharmaceutical Product Approvals and Trends in 2012,"
BioProcess International, vol. 11, no. 3, March 2013, pp. 18-27.
- "Fill-Finish Innovation: Showing Sparks of Life," Contract Pharma, vol. 15, no. 1, p. 40-46, Jan.-Feb. 2013 [publisher did not include
article in this issue's index].
- "Biosimilars and Biobetters," PharmaPro: News,
Views, & Technology for the Industry, Jan. 14, 2013.
- "Upstream Single-Use Bioprocessing Systems: Future Market Trends and Growth Assessment," BioProcess International, Feb. 2012.
- "Top 50 Biologics" [by 2010 revenue], Contract Pharma, July/Aug. 2011.
- "Nomenclature of Biosimilars Will Be Highly Controversial, BioProcess International, June 2011, 28-32.
- "A History of Approved Recombinant Cell Culture Products, 1980-2010," BioProcess International, vol. 7, no. 11, Dec. 2009, large wallchart/poster insert.
- "(Re)defining Biopharmaceutical" Nature Biotechnology, July 2008, 26(7), p. 743-751.
- "Expression Systems for Process and Product Development: A Perspective on Opportunities for Innovator and Follow-on Product Developers," BioProcess International, vol. 6, issue 6, suppl. 4, Success Stories in Protein Expression, p. 4-9, June 2008 [supplement lead article].
- "Biopharmaceuticals: Lack of Information Disclosure Confounds Public Trust, Particularly in the Context of Biosimilars," BioWorld Perspectives, vol. 2, issue 18, May 1, 2008.
- "Paucity of Biopharma Approvals Raises Alarm: Lower Numbers, Novelty and Economic Impact Indicate Problems," Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (GEN), March 15, 2008
- "How Big is the World Market for Biopharmaceuticals? It All Depends How You Define Biopharmaceutical," in Friedman, Y., Best Practices in Biotechnology Business Development, Logo Press, p. 175-85, 2008.
- "What Is a Generic Biopharmaceutical? Biogeneric? Follow-On Protein? Biosimilar? Follow-On Biologic?" Part 1: Introduction and Basic Paradigms - BioProcess International, March 2007.
- "What Is a Generic Biopharmaceutical? Biogeneric? Follow-On Protein? Biosimilar? Follow-On Biologic?" Part 2: Information, Nomenclature, Perceptions, and the Market - BioProcess International, May 2007.
- Biopharmaceutical Approvals Review - Genetic Engineering News, Aug. 1, 2006
What is a Biopharmaceutical, Part 1: (Bio)Technology-Based Definitions - BioExecutive, March 2005.
- What is a Biopharmaceutical, Part 2: Company and Industry Definitions - BioExecutive, May 2005.
Mr. Rader's main Web sites:
Earlier books, periodicals and studies authored by Mr. Rader include:
- Antiviral Agents Bulletin, a monthly 32-page newletter about antiviral drug and vaccine development, 1987-2003 (15 years),
- BioINVENTION, a U.S. biotechnology patent abstract and news periodical; Editor, 1985-1990
- Federal Biotechnology Information Resources Directory; lead author/editor
- Federal Biotechnology Programs Directory; lead author/editor
- Survey of Compounds Which Have Been Tested for Carcinogenic Activity [Chemical Editor]
- "Analysis of U.S. Biotechnology Patents," issued annually, 1986-1988, by the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (PMA, now PhRMA).
- Chemical Information Resources Directory, 673 pages
Further information: Resume